Wednesday, December 11, 2013

FlyLady BabyStepping Day 3

Today I woke up to a shiny sink. (BabyStep 1)
I got dressed to my shoes (including a shower--victory!). (BabyStep 2)
Had a fun time visiting with some friends.
And now (while Ellie naps) I'm sitting down to read some things on the FlyLady Launch Pad (BabyStep 3!)  This is what it looks like:

The fast version is to click on the Flight Plan.  But to walk y'all through it and to get reacquainted with FlyLady's methods, I took the scenic route. :)

So first I clicked on "Missions."  This week's Zone is The Kitchen--"the heart of our home," as FlyLady calls it.  And today's mission is actually... wait for it.... scrubbing your kitchen sink faucet!  So if you've already done BabyStep Day 1 with me, we're in the clear!  (If not, grab a tooth brush and butter knife and have at it!)  So we could technically skip today's mission... Or we can take a look at yesterday's mission, which was: scrubbing down the counter-tops.  Here's what FlyLady says about this Zone Mission:

Dear Friends:

Your mission for today should you choose to accept it: Scrub down
your counter-tops. I don't mean to just wipe a rag across them! I
mean you get some hot soapy water and you wipe down the counters from
front to back and side to side. Yes, you have to move the stuff on
the counters to do this. DON'T take everything off at one time and
then plan to put it all back again, I promise you will get
sidetracked and then you will all email me crying that it is all my
fault!! LOL! You just move your toaster (or coffee pot or whatever
this is an example here! :) over to one side and wipe down the
counter, then move over a foot or so, move aside what is there and
wipe down some more and so on. We are not marathon cleaning the
kitchen here, just getting all the crumbs and junk that seems to
build up behind and under things. Have fun! Don't obsess! Enjoy!

I just love how Marla reminds us to not take everything off at once.  Which of course means moving something aside, wiping, then drying, then setting it back--but it's totally worth it so that if we get sidetracked, things aren't all over the place.  And I love her reminder to not obsess.  Just do this quickly and simply and be done. :)  Easy enough, right?!

Then I looked at today's Daily Focus.  Wednesday is FlyLady's Anti-Procrastination Day.  (Ugh. My Goliath...)  Here's what FlyLady wants us to know about this daily focus:

Each and every Wednesday is Anti-Procrastination Day for FlyLady. This is a day that we take care of things we’ve been putting off. You can use this day to take care of any procrastinating you’ve done. You can do things like:
-Make doctors appointments
-Finish that report for work
-Work on a project with your child
-Clean the fish tank

You can do whatever you need to take care. This is the day to stop putting things off.
“Procrastination is the death of us, our relationships, and our peace!” ~ FlyLady

I thought to myself, hmmm, what have I been putting off. (uhh yikes, what haven't I??)  Writing our Christmas letter?  Returning a fake GHD flat iron I bought online (big mistake)?  Returning EMAILS galore?  I'm going to pick three things that I know I can actually accomplish today that I've been procrastinating on, and I'm going to DO THEM.  Are you with me??

K, I'm committing.  Here are my three (feel free to post yours in the comments below!  when we put it out there it helps us stay accountable!)

1) Write to fake flat iron seller.  Yup that's what I call him.  (BTW I ended up getting a CHI G2 on sale at Ulta and am loving it.)
2) Write a rough draft for our Christmas letter.
3) Call Parents magazine back (yup, they contacted me about Little Sign of Mine before Thanksgiving and I still haven't found time/keep forgetting to call back!)

Okay, so that's that.  On to... today's FLY Kid's Challenge!  Now I'm pretty sure these are meant to be read by and performed solo by our little ones.  However since Peanut is 2 1/2 (would that make her a... gnat?) LOL ;) I'm going to come alongside her and teach her these habits, accommodating them to her abilities.  Here is what FlyLady writes for today's Kid's Challenge:

We are taking a walk! Let's walk through our houses looking for 10
things that belong in our rooms and put them away.  If you have left
any shoes, jackets, school things, toys or books around the
house,now is the time to return them to their home.  When you leave
your things around the house, it makes the house look messy. Let's
grab up the things that belong in our rooms and take them there.

I am willing to bet that Mom or Dad will be so surprised and so proud
of you!

Have Fun!

If you have kids that can read this and do it on their own, it might be fun to make a milk carton mailbox and print these slips for them to get as a surprise each day in their mail box.  Or you could put it in their note jar!  What's a note jar you ask?  Hmm, that just gave me another blog post idea... :)

So for today's Kid's Challenge with Ellie, I'm thinking I'll go on a "treasure hunt" with her, and ask her to help Mommy find 10 treasures (books/toys, etc.) that belong in her room, or in her toy boxes.  If she has a hard time with that, I'll try putting gold doubloons next to 10 of her things.  (P.S. Anyone else think they were called doublooMs before seeing Jake and the Neverland Pirates with subtitles on??)  This could also be a great time to practice counting to 10 (in sign language, too!  Learn how in this Signing Time clip).

Okay that's all for today's BabyStep!  Let's sum up, shall we?
-Scrub kitchen counters (or faucet)
-Do 3 things that I've procrastinated on
-Help little one put away 10 things
-Keep sink shining

We can do this!  And if you instagram your progress, feel free to use these hashtags: #flylady #babysteppingwithlittlesign

I'm proud of y'all!  Shout out to Alison, Krista, Shannon, and Alisa for "fluttering" along! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment